Saturday, October 26, 2013

Who am I? And how, I wonder, will this story end?
The sun has come up and I am sitting by a window that is foggy with the breath of a life,,,. gone by. I'm a sight this morning: two shirts,heavy pants, a scarf wrapped twice around my neck  and  tucked into a thick  sweater  knitted  by  my  daughter thirty birthdays ago. The thermostat in my room is  set as high  as it will go , and a smaller space heater sits directly behind me. It clicks and groans and spews hot air like a fairy-tale dragon , and still my body shivers  with  a  cold  that  will  never  go away, a cold that has been eighty years in the making.

Eighty years, I think sometimes, and despite my own acceptance of my age, it still amazes me that I haven't been warm since George Bush was president.I wonder if this is how it is for everyone my age.

My life ?  It  isn't  easy   to explain  .  It has not been the rip-roaring spectacular Ifancied it would be , but  neither  have  I  burrowed  around  with  the  gophers. I suppose  it  has  most  resembled  a  blue-chip  stock:  fairly  stable ,  more  ups than downs , and gradually  trending  upward  over  time .  A good buy , a lucky Buy , and  I've  learned  that not  everyone  can  say  this  about  his life .  But  do not be misled .  I am  nothing  special  ; of  this I am sure .  I  am  a  common man with common thoughts , and I've led  a  common life . There are no monuments Dedicated  to  me  and  my  name  will  soon be forgotten,but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.

The  romantics  would  call  this  a  love  story , the cynics  would  call  it  a  tragedy.  In my mind it's a little bit of both , and no matter how you choose to view it in the end, it does not change the fact that it  involves  a  great  deal  of  my  life  and  the  path  I've chosen to follow . I have no complaints about my path  and  the places it  has taken me; enough  complaints  to  fill a circus tent about  other things, maybe,  but the path I've chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn't have had it  any other way.

Continue Reading
Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 by readfulltext.blogspot.com